Monday, April 11, 2011

Back from HK !

Hey peeps, I am finally back from my Hong Kong trip! Anybody misses moi? ;P

Oh well, first & foremost, please allow me to vent my frustrations first before you continue reading & 'salivating' at those HK baking shops/tools. Some of you may probably knew by now that my luggage was damaged during the transfer to Singapore! This is really so ridiculous! I had travel so many times & this is my first time encountering this crap! Can you imagine a hard case luggage got damage when it is already tag as FRAGILE??? Part of my luggage was badly cracked & went concave! I had already reported the damage to the airport staff & was told that someone will drop by my place soon to inspect my luggage before any compensation took place. When I opened up my luggage last night, I found my clothes & a bag of electrical appliances (chargers) wet. I guess it was due to the 'splash' from my contact lens solution after the luggage was damaged. I was glad that I did not listen to my hubby's advice for once & had packed my bakeware separately as hand carry items, else my steel moulds would be 'gone'! I am really disappointed with this kind of 'services' provided by SIA personnel to their customers. To think that I actually choose SQ over Cathay Pacific in the first place!

Top view of luggage - still looks good huh? Keep scrolling down...

Noticed the crack?

Side view - can you see the long crack as it caved in?

'The Kimberly Hotel' at Tsim Sha Tsui (TST) was where we stayed in Hong Kong. It is near to MTR station & is within walking distance to Star Ferry pier. Our favourite 'exercises' was to shop all the way from TST to Mongkok or even till Prince Edward MTR area. Besides shopping, my 'mission' was also to locate the baking/ingredients stores along that stretch of streets. All thanks to my dear hubby who helped me with the map reading, we managed to locate a total of 12 baking/ingredients stores during those 5 days in HK!



These were the baking/ingredients shops which we visited:

二德惠
http://www.twinsco.com
(Cheap & good deal. Very crowded!)

Ichi-cake
http://www.ichi-cake.com
(Cheap & good deal)


心甜烘焙材料专门店
http://www.sweetiebaking.com
(Stuffs sold are more expensive compared to the rest)

Cakes Library
http://www.cakeslibrary.com
(Cheap cartoon cookie cutters as their packages are not original)

Cake DIY
http://www.cakediy.com
(The furthest baking shop I went, unless you got many things to buy, else it is not worth to make a trip there)

Citysuper
Times square @ Causeway bay
(Stuffs are expensive)


Easy Cakes
http://www.easycakes.com.hk/
(Few baking items available, more for hands on baking classes only)

By Joanne Stylish Baking
http://www.byjoanne.com.hk
(Very few baking items available, more for hands on baking classes only)


Cake 1 Cake Company
http://www.cake1cake.com.hk
(Small shop with only a few variety. Can skip if you do not have the time to visit)

Double cakes
http://www.doublecake.com.hk/index.htm
(Already moved)

Petit Fours
http://www.petitfours.com.hk/
(Already moved)

人气食谱
http://www.chefsrecipe.net/
(Already moved)

Take a look at what I had bought!
Bought on behalf of Jess from Jess Kitchen


My new baking 'toys'!

Next, I came across these two items in a shopping mall called 'The one'. The price is quite expensive so I just took a photo of them ;P

This is a very cute plastic 'saw' for slicing cake

Birthday cake mould with 'Happy Birthday' words on it

Wow, I am so excited & can't wait to use my new baking toys. Btw, do stay tuned as well for more mouth watering HK desserts *^_^*



42 comments:

CaThY said...

咔咔咔,年尾我一定要去大败一轮:)

CaThY said...

哇哇哇( ⊙o⊙ )哇,爽死咯!!!!
cathy,可以一一放大,介绍你败了什么回来吗?
满足一下,没有得去的我,好不好jek?
please~~~~~

CaThY said...

Cathy, so sorry for what happen to your bag and they hassle you gone thru. Looking forward to see what you come out with from those new baking toys you got:D

CaThY said...

i miss you cat! WELCOME BACK! (: the luggage is really badly damaged! luckily for once you didnt listen to your hubby :D and WOW! there's soooo many nice shops there! (: (:

CaThY said...

wow wow wowow comprehensive list. Thanks so much for checking all out. Now when I go there, at least I will be motivate to check out those stores.

CaThY said...

Edith,
Its really good buy, best buy muz buy! kekeke ;)

CaThY said...

Jasmine,
Wah miss me ah? Kekeke, you made any cheesecake to welcome me back? ;P

CaThY said...

鲸鱼,
对对!你一定要去大败一轮 ;)

CaThY said...

aries,
没问题!不过要耐心的等哦 ;)

CaThY said...

krystle,
Yeah, I am also very excited to try out my new toys. Stay tuned! ;)

CaThY said...

Really hope SIA refunds you for your luggage because I've never had such bad luggage damage and I've travelled quite a bit, even on budget airlines!

And thanks - your list is so comprehensive - saves me the trouble of looking for the websites when I go to HK later hehe :D

Janine

CaThY said...

Oh welcome back! I just got back from California and too lugged back a whole bunch of bakeware..will post up soon. I'm sorry about your luggage, can't imagine what or who can make such a huge damage to it! BTW, envy you being able to go shopping all those bake stores in HK! I wish I can do that too! But thanks for the tips! Will know which one to check out next time. :)

CaThY said...

Janine,
Yeah, SIA better compensate!
Btw, for your information, HK baking/ingredients stores are all quite small & certain cartoon moulds can also be found in 2-3 shops in ladies market. I highly recommend 'twinsco' & 'ichi-cake'. I'm sure sporean will be happy singing birds when they go there~ cheap, cheap, cheap (chip chip chip).. kekeke ;)

CaThY said...

HoneyBeeSweets,
Wow, I am really looking forward to see what you bought from California! Is it cheap as well? ;)

CaThY said...

看到那些照片,好想去香港哦!

CaThY said...

看到那些照片,好想去香港哦!

CaThY said...

看到那些照片,好想去香港哦!

CaThY said...

Chong S,
嘿嘿,快去快去 ;)

CaThY said...

hi cathy, most likely i'll be going to hkg end of next month..thanks for giving the info on those bakery suppliers shop, i'll jot them down just in case i've time for that..

CaThY said...

But from what my friends have experienced, you'll have to wait a really long time before they pay you back >.<

Hehehehe I hope I'll be singing the tune too :p Can't wait to go there!!!

CaThY said...

wow! u make me wanna go to HK! :)

CaThY said...

Alice,
Hahaha, Book a ticket & go! ;)

CaThY said...

Lena,
Wow, now you are make me think of the dim sum I had in HK... ;P

CaThY said...

wah!!!!!!!! definitely bookmarking this page!!!!!!

CaThY said...

So envy of you! What a great baking hunting adventure you've got here :)
Thanks for sharing this !

CaThY said...

Alan,
Hahaha, make sure you also do something like this for us when you are back from Taiwan ;$

CaThY said...

DG,
Yeah really an adventure, it was fun ;)

CaThY said...

Must be very shiok after all that shopping right ! Especially for all the baking stuffs !! Yes, you should get SIA to compensate or even travel insurance if you have bought.

CaThY said...

我上次去香港时对烘焙还没那么有兴趣,所以都没买到烘焙用具。我傻傻的!所以下次再去香港可不能错过机会了。
你的行旅箱很严重似的。有claim吗?我上次去中国上海乘坐马航,我的行旅箱也是裂了。我是跟旅行团的。也有买保险。所以有得claim。

CaThY said...

The no. of baking shops that you visit in your short trip is indeed a feat! :)

CaThY said...

Hanushi,
Yeah its very fun & I got to see poppy seeds which is not available in Spore :)

CaThY said...

Joyce,
Ya loh! Very fun! :)
I am waiting for SIA personnel to contact me (they mentioned wil contact me within 3 days & it is 2nd day today!) else I will start bugging them! ;P

CaThY said...

Wow... you really made your homework Cathy... ^_^

CaThY said...

neyeeloh,
Hahaha, yes!

CaThY said...

Jocelinelor,
记的下次去香港一定要去‘败家’一次哦。
行旅箱将会被SIA的人带回去检查再看可以claim吗。

CaThY said...

Welcome back, Cathy! You bought so many baking toys, so nice! I didn't make any visits to baking shop during my Taiwan trip because of time limitation, a bit regretted now :(

CaThY said...

Min,
Dun worry, you can always make another trip there. Hehehe ;)

CaThY said...

Thanks for all these info. Hope that I will the time to go to these shops for my coming HK trip.

CaThY said...

if you 're going back to hk again , try to visit http://www.chanchikee.com/wanchai.htm , one of the best shop for baking essentials , they got loads of materials & cheap too , actually that area , it's in Shanghai St., near Yau Ma Tei mtr , the street's lined with restaurant supplies & a baking junkie's dream :D

CaThY said...

Thanks Ann for sharing!b :)

Swee San said...

Thanks for this post.. going to HK this july :)

cathysjoy said...

Swee San,
But more baking stuffs! :)

Post a Comment